The Golden Valley Fire District, Governed by a five member elected Board of Directors, is operated under the direction of Fire Chief Thomas O'Donohue implementing Board policy. District staffing includes an Assistant Fire Chief, a Battalion Chief, a Fire Marshal, three Captains, twenty two full time Engineers and Firefighters certified at either the EMT or Paramedic levels, an EVT/ASE Certified Mechanic, an Administrative manager and an Administrative Assistant.
We provide All-Hazard emergency services including fire prevention, fire suppression, paramedic level emergency medical response, hazardous material response, special operations, Technical Rescue for high-angle and low-angle rescues, confined-space rescue, public education and code enforcement for general fire safety.
Our District is a large one, officially covering over 220 square miles, from three fully staffed fire stations.
Our firefighters continually train via a structured NFPA, OSHA and ISO guidelines to ensure the highest level of training for your emergencies.
In 1975 a group of citizens sought to form a formal volunteer fire department in Golden Valley, Arizona with petition number 384 to provide a vital service to the community. The notice of election was completed with resolution number 1030, and the election for formation was held November 4, 1975 with the following results; 88 votes in favor, 13 opposed votes and one spoiled vote.
The Golden Valley Volunteer Fire Company was formally established November 10, 1975 under resolution number 1043 and was Duly Organized with resolution 1116. At that time, the Fire Department covered 171 square miles. The approximate border landmarks were: (East to West) the base of the Cerbat Mountains to the base of the Black Mountains. North to South from Mohave Estates to portions south of Oatman Road.
Earl Misak was the first elected Fire Chief and Mrs. Marian S. Evans was the first Secretary-Treasurer. The roster in December 1975 showed Chief Earl Misak, Assistant Chief Beryl L. Agee, Secretary-Treasurer Marian Evans, Captain David Bonnee, Henry Barzowske, Lloyd Chadwick, Mary Coffee, Robert Cornman, Jesse Edwards, Ken Farr, Aubray Gist, Howard Harrison, Donald Harrison, Arnold Hill, Abel Lamorie, Ernest Lunsford, John Marex, Raymond McVoy, Wayne Nelson, D.B. Nunneley, Edgar Richardson, Victor Righter, Arthur Talley, Michael Tharp, Joe Wales, John Williams and Ray Wills.
Over the years the Golden Valley Volunteer Fire Company evolved into a combination department of both volunteer and career firefighters, with an elected five member board of directors and is known today as the Golden Valley Fire District.